State Telemedicine Policy Information
Healthcare Legislation Is Complex, We Can Help.
Wyoming Telemedicine Policy
Wyoming Telemedicine Policy
Wyoming is getting closer every day to better coverage for telemedicine. Without a telemedicine parity law in place, there’s no mandate for private payers to reimburse for telemedicine services, although many still do. However, Wyoming Medicaid is one of the few states to offer coverage for specialty telemedicine services for substance abuse. Plus, Wyoming has adopted legislation to join the Interstate Medical Licensure Compact. The compact makes it easier for out-of-state telehealth providers to practice in Wyoming.
State Policy Overview
Additional State Telemedicine Info
Since Wyoming has no parity law, there is no guarantee that private payers will cover telemedicine services. However, many companies find telemedicine very valuable and are adding coverage to their policies.
The Wyoming Medicaid Program offers reimbursement for exams performed via a real-time interactive audio and video system. The patient must be able to see and interact with the off-site practitioner during the exam. Currently, Wyoming Medicaid doesn’t consider store-and-forward technologies as meeting their definition of telehealth.
Type Of Telemedicine Covered
Wyoming Medicaid will cover some medical services performed over live video, but not through remote patient monitoring or store-and-forward solutions.
Covered Health Services
Along with primary care and mental health, Wyoming’s Medicaid program covers telehealth services for substance abuse and addiction, nutrition patient education, and speech therapy. For more details, refer to the telemedicine section of your Medicaid manual.
Eligible Healthcare Providers
Enter description text here.
The following healthcare providers are allowed to bill Medicaid for telehealth services:
- Advanced practice nurses with a specialty of psychiatry/mental health
- Physician’s assistant (billed under the supervising physician
- Psychologists and neuropsychologists
- Mental health professionals (LCSW, LPC, LMFT, LAT)
- Speech therapists
Wyoming law states that in order to prescribe following a telemedicine visit, the provider and patient must have an established relationship.
Informed Patient Consent
Wyoming providers are required to get a patient’s consent for telehealth if they are billing through Medicaid.
Cross-State Telemedicine Licensing
Great news! Wyoming is part of the Interstate Medical Licensure Compact. The compact makes it easier to practice telehealth across state lines by expediting the medical licensing process.
Restrictions On Locations
Wyoming Medicaid places some restrictions on where patients can receive their virtual care. However, the patient’s home is included on that list!
Here’s the full list of eligible patient locations:
- Physician or practitioner offices (includes medical clinics)
- Psychologists or neuropsychologists
- Community mental health or substance abuse treatment centers (CMHC/SATC)
- Advanced practice nurses with specialty of psychiatry/mental health offices
- Office of a licensed mental health professional
- Federally Qualified Health Centers
- Rural Health Clinics
- Skilled nursing facilities
- Indian Health Services Clinics
- Hospital-based or Critical Access Hospital-based renal dialysis centers (including satellites)
- Development Center
- Family Planning Clinics
- Public Health Offices
- Client’s Home
Under Medicaid, reimbursement for telemedicine services is equivalent to the same services rendered in-person.
Wyoming Medicaid uses similar billing guidelines as many other state programs; simply use the HCPCS for the comparable in-person service along with the GT (telemedicine) modifier. For more details, see the telemedicine section of your Medicaid Manual.
Here’s a list of some of the included CPT/HCPCS codes:
- Consultations: 99241 – 99255
- Office or other outpatient visits: 99201 – 99215
- Individual psychotherapy: 90832-90838
- Psychiatric diagnostic interview examination: 90791-90792
- Individual medical nutrition therapy: G0270